Chocolate is one of the most romantic foods there is so what better way to show your love than by making a batch of Valentine’s brownies. This recipe takes the classic brownie recipe and decorates it with a swirl of red sponge and easy icing sugar hearts.
- Brownie mix
- 2 x 100g bars dark chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter, very soft
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs, beaten to mix
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- Red swirl cake mix
- 1 egg
- 50g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- Red food colouring
- To decorate
- Icing sugar
- Heart shaped cookie cutters
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a baking tray.
- To make the brownie mix, break up the dark chocolate and melt in short bursts in the microwave, stirring in between. Leave to cool.
- Combine the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the vanilla essence.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and then sift the flour and cocoa into the mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly.
- To make the red cake mixture, mix all the ingredients (aside from the food colouring) together until evenly combined. Add a few drops of food colouring at a time until you get the desired colour.
- Drizzle the red cake mixture over the brownie mix, using a fork to swirl the mixture across the surface.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 20-25 mins until firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy. Leave to cool.
- To decorate with icing sugar hearts, simply place some heart shaped cookie cutters on the brownie surface and lightly sieve icing sugar around them.
- Baker and Maker
Icing sugar is one of the easiest ways to decorate a cake. You can even spell out someone's name by cutting out paper letters and sprinkling it around the edges.