This stir-fry mixes fresh vegetables with the rich flavour of soy sauce and the fragrant heat of ginger
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 mixed coloured peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 10ml (2tsp) sesame oil
- 10ml (2tsp) grated fresh root ginger
- 20ml (4tsp) cornflour
- 60ml (4tbsp) dark soy sauce
- 200ml (7fl oz) vegetable stock
- 2 courgettes, thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 4 x 150g pkts straight-to-wok noodles
Place the carrots, peppers, sesame oil, ginger and 175ml (6fl oz) water in a large non-stick frying pan. Set over a high heat. Cook for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Meanwhile mix the cornflour and soy sauce together. Stir into the stock. Set aside.
Add the courgettes and spring onions to the frying pan, mix well then cook without stirring until the remaining liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are lightly browned underneath.
Pour in the stock and soy sauce mixture. Heat, stirring until boiling and thickened. Add the noodles and toss together for 1-2 mins until piping hot. Serve immediately in warmed bowls.
Top tip for making Vegetable chow mein
For a meaty version, try using fried chicken that's been marinated in light soy sauce and sesame oil.