A delicious vegetarian pie with mashed sweet potato topping. This pie is cooked in individual ovenproof dishes and can be made in advance
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 large red onion or white onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- A few thyme sprigs
- 410g can mixed bean salad, drained and rinsed
- 100g (3½oz) frozen peas
- 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper
- For the mash:
- 1kg (2¼lb) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 75g (2½oz) Cheddar, grated
To make mash: Cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 mins until tender. Drain, reserving cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for a few minutes, then stir in the carrots and parsnips and cook for another 2-3 mins.
Add 300ml (½ pint) of the potato cooking water to the pan, along with the crumbled stock cube, and thyme sprigs. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 15 mins.
Stir the mixed beans, peas, parsley and seasoning into the vegetable mixture, then divide it between 4 individual ovenproof dishes. Take out the thyme sprigs.
Mash the sweet potatoes and stir in half the cheese and seasoning to taste. Spoon mash over the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with rest of the cheese.
Top tip for making Vegetable cottage pie
If you haven’t got a can of mixed beans, double up on the frozen peas.