It's not only meat-lovers who enjoy a good old shepherd's pie, this vegetarian recipe is just as tasty
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 x 420g can mixed bean salad, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp dried mixed herbs
- I tbsp tomato puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mash topping
- 700g (1lb 9oz) floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 150ml (¼ pt) milk
- 75g (2¾ oz) Wensleydale cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 20 mins or until tender. Meanwhile, heat the oil, add the onion, garlic, celery, leek and carrot and fry gently for 10 mins.
Add the bean salad, tomatoes, herbs or chilli powder and tomato puree with 3tbsp water. Season to taste and simmer for 5 mins.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and heat the milk to boiling point. Pour the milk over the potatoes and mash until smooth. Season to taste. Beat in half the cheese.
Spoon the beans and tomato mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the cheesy mash. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cook for 20 mins until the topping is golden brown.
Top tip for making Vegetable shepherd’s pie
Add chilli powder for a spicy variation. Feel free to use whatever vegetables take your fancy - parsnips, courgettes, sweetcorn; use your imagination!