These vegetarian Chinese pancakes are so quick and easy and the perfect starter if you're making Chinese food from scratch. These vegetarian Chinese pancakesare full of health-boosting ingredients too such as potassium, which is great for your metabolism, so these are a tasty and healthy alternative to spring rolls. Working out at only 255 calories per serving, these pancake rolls are filled with veggies such as spring onions mangetout and baby corn and plenty of tofu. Serve with hoisin dipping sauce and watch them disappear in minutes. This recipe serves 4 people but can easily be doubled to serve more.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2.5cm (1in) piece root ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 110g (4oz), mangetout trimmed and thinly sliced lengthways
- 110g (4oz), baby corn trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 225g (8oz) tofu, drained and cut into 12 x 1cm (1/2in) pieces
- 1tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1tbsp hoisin sauce
- 75g (3oz) beanshoots
- 1 small bunch chives, optional
- 12 soft Chinese
- or 4 soft tortillas
- 1/4 head Chinese leaves
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
Heat the oil in a non-stick wok or large frying pan until very hot and then stir-fry the prepared vegetables and tofu for 2 minutes.
Add the soy and hoisin sauces and beanshoots and continue to stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are just tender but still slightly crisp.
Snip the chives into the pan, if using, and stir into the mixture.
Meanwhile, heat the pancakes or tortillas according to the packet instructions and keep warm until ready to serve. Shred the Chinese leaves finely.
To serve, divide the vegetable and tofu mixture between the pancakes or tortillas and roll up with some shredded Chinese leaves.
Serve with sweet chilli sauce to dip.
Top tip for making Vegetarian Chinese pancakes
If you'd rather make the meat version of these veggie pancake rolls just swap the tofu for peking duck instead.