Whip up a delicious vegetarian feast, filled with sweet and sticky potatoes, hot and sweet tofu noodles and a butter bean salad – perfect for sharing with friends or as a dinner party starter
- For the sweet and sticky potatoes:
- 20 new potatoes, washed
- 1tbsp mango chutney
- 1tsp olive oil
- ½ a bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- For the salsa:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- 40g fresh coriander
- ½ lime juice only
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the tomato chilli shot:
- 1 bird's eye chilli
- 800ml tomato juice (chilled)
- 4 shots of vodka
- 2tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- For the potato grates:
- 4 medium potatoes, grated
- 750ml of vegetable oil for frying
- For the butter bean salad
- 2 standard cans of butter beans, drained
- 100ml tomato juice
- 20g thyme, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Pinch of sugar
- ½tsp paprika
- For the hot and tweet tofu and noodles
- 400g firm tofu, if in water drain and pat with a paper towel to absorb excess water, then cut into chunks
- 400g cooked noodles (vegan)
- 2tbsp mango chutney
- 2 Bird's Eye chillies
- For the garnish:
- 2 carrots, grated
- 20g cress
- 1 cucumber, finely sliced
- 200g baby spinach
- 8 pickled chillies, cut the tip off to squeeze out excess liquid
- Salt and pepper
Step 1 – Sweet and sticky potatoes
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the new potatoes.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes until cooked but still firm. Drain and put to one side.
Step 2 – Salsa
- Finely chop the red onion, tomato and fresh coriander.
- Place in a small bowl and add the lime juice and 2tsp of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3 – Tomato chilli shot
- Slice open a chilli, remove any seeds and finely chop.
- Add the chilli to the 800ml of tomato juice, four shots of vodka, and 2tsp of vegetarian Worcester sauce, chill. (If you prefer not to have alcohol, leave the vodka out.)
- Stir before pouring into four small shot glasses.
Step 4 – Deep-fried potato grates
- Peel and grate 4 medium potatoes and pat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a large pan bring the oil up to frying temperature. To test this, add a few grates to the oil. The potato should start to sizzle almost immediately.
- When the oil is ready carefully add half of the grated potato.
- With a large slotted spoon carefully agitate the potato.
- After approximately 6 minutes, scoop out the crispy potato and place onto a paper towel.
- Repeat steps until all the potato has been fried, then season, with a pinch of salt.
Step 5 -Butter bean salad
- Place the drained butter beans into a bowl.
- Add 200ml of tomato juice, chopped fresh thyme, 1tbsp olive oil, juice of half a lemon, ½tsp of paprika, a pinch of sugar, season with salt and pepper.
- Mix till beans are coated.
Step 6 – Hot and sweet noodles and tofu
- Add 1tbsp olive oil to a large non-stick frying pan.
- Carefully mix together the tofu and noodles and gently fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 chopped chillis and 2tbsp of mango chutney and continue to cook for 3 minutes occasionally stirring.
Step 7 – Sweet and sticky potatoes
- When you are about to assemble the salad heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Slice the potatoes you prepared in Step 1 in half and add to the pan.
- After 2 minutes add one tablespoon of mango chutney and half a finely chopped chilli.
- Stir and cook for 2 more minutes, then serve.
To assemble your salad:
- Arrange your salads in small piles with the shot as the centre piece on each person’s plate. Alternatively place four shots in the middle of a large plate with the different salads placed around them.
- Use the grated carrot, cucumber, spinach, cress and pickled chilli as a garnish.
- Dress the salad with the remaining lemon, lime and a splash of olive oil.
Top tip for making Vegetarian platter
Serve either on one large plate or mezze style on four individual plates, it’s up to you!