This coffee trifle is full of creamy flavours. With a mixture of Kahlua, dark chocolate and instant coffee granules, this recipe is the perfect dessert that your family and friends will love
- 1 rounded tbsp instant coffee granules, plus extra for serving
- 250g tub ricotta, drained
- 2 level tbsp caster sugar
- 4tbsp Kahlua or Tia Maria coffee liqueur
- 1 egg, separated
- 4 chunks dark chocolate, melted
- 4 level tbsp ground almonds
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon or orange and 1tbsp juice
- 12-16 sponge fingers
- A few chocolate-coated coffee beans, optional
- 4 or 6 coffee cups
Dissolve the coffee in 150ml boiling water. Set aside.
Mix the ricotta, sugar and 2 tbsps of the coffee liqueur in a bowl. Divide the mixture into two bowls.
Whisk the egg white in another bowl and fold it into one half of the ricotta mixture with the melted chocolate.
Add the egg yolk, ground almonds, zest and juice to the other half of the ricotta mixture.
Spoon the other 2 tbsps of coffee liqueur into the cooled coffee. Dip half the sponge fingers into the coffee for a few seconds to take on the liquid. Put them into the cups. Smooth the chocolate ricotta mixture on top. Dip the rest of the fingers in the coffee, to use it all up, and place in the cups. Spread the almond ricotta mixture on top. Cover loosely and chill for 3 hours (or overnight is fine).
Take the puds out of the fridge 10 mins before serving. Sift coffee granules over the top and before serving, add a few chocolate coated coffee beans, if you like.
Why not be extra naughty and serve with chocolate covered biscuits?