Try something different with our venison stew recipe. This is a tasty, hearty dish for the whole family and it’s quite easy to cook.
- 600g (1¼lb) stewing venison, cut into chunks
- 1tbsp seasoned flour
- 2tsp sunflower oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 300ml (½ pint) red wine
- 300ml (½ pint) beef stock
- 1tsp tomato purée
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 small shallots, peeled
- 250g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms
- 100g (3½oz) cooked, peeled, dried or frozen chestnuts
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- To serve:
- 300g (10oz) potatoes and 1 carrot, cooked and mashed together, adding 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Green beans or cabbage
Coat the meat in the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the meat in one layer and cook over a medium heat until browned all over. Add the garlic and half the wine and stir well. Add the rest of the wine with the stock, purée, thyme sprigs and seasoning. Bring back to the boil, add the shallots, cover and simmer for an hour.
Add the mushrooms and chestnuts, then cook, uncovered, for about 30 mins, until the shallots are tender and the sauce thickened. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Top tip for making Venison and mushroom stew
You can also cook the stew in the oven at Gas Mark 3 or 160°C, for 1½ hours, if you prefer.