Give your cupcakes a burst of colour by making Victoria Threader’s rainbow cupcakes. Full of all the colours of the rainbow, these tasty little bites will put a smile on anyone’s face.
Like this? You’ll love our classic rainbow cake made by Bake Off’s Candice Brown!
- For the rainbow cupcakes
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter
- 130g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- 3 medium eggs
- 30ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 6 different food colours (Victoria used Sugarflair gels in Red Extra, Ice Blue, Party Green, Egg Yellow, Tangerine and Grape Violet)
- Rainbow sprinkles
- For the icing
- 500g icing sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp milk
- You will also need:
- Deep muffin tray
- Ice cream scoop
- 6 small ziplock or sealable sandwich bags
- Piping bag and Wilton 1M piping tip (optional)
For the cakes:
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas mark 3. Place 10 cases in your muffin tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg, 1/3 of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Add 2 ice cream scoops of the cake batter to each ziplock bag, then add food colour to each one, adding more if required and massage until you have the desired colour.
- Starting with either red or purple, snip the corner off the bag a squeeze a layer covering the bottom of the 10 cases. Then with the other colours, squeeze a layer of batter over the previous colour. Use a toothpick to move the batter around, so as to cover the previous colour.
- When you have completed all the colours, bake in the oven for 25-30 mins depending on your oven.
- Remove and cool in the tins for 10 mins before moving to a wire cooling rack.
For the buttercream:
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until smooth and shiny.
- Once the rainbow cakes are cool, spread or pipe (Wilton 1M tip) onto the tops of the cupcakes. To pipe the swirl, start in the centre of the cupcake and work outwards to the paper, using this as a guide follow it round and build up into a swirl. To finish push down slightly and pull up quickly. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles.
Love making colourful creations? Take a look at our rainbow cake recipe
Top tip for making Rainbow cupcakes
You don't have to stick to rainbow colours, you can use any colour combinations you want