These charming Father's Day cupcakes from goodtoknow's cupcake queen, Victoria Threader, feature an edible topper with a child's drawing of their dad on top of a delicious carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting
- 2 large eggs
- 130g caster sugar, preferably golden
- 120ml corn oil
- 1⁄2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tsp fresh orange zest
- 120g plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 225g of grated carrot
- For the orange cream cheese icing
- 175g cream cheese
- 450g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Zest from one orange
- For the toppers:
- 12 edible cupcake 'toppers' with a personalised drawing or photograph. Victoria orders hers from www.edibleprints.co.uk where you can upload a picture of your choosing to turn into toppers.
- 250g white fondant icing
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan oven160ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tins with cupcake cases or papers.
- Put the grated carrots in a large bowl and place to one side. Beat the eggs and sugar together for several mins and then carefully add the oil, vanilla extract and orange zest and beat well.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cinnamon into a separate bowl and then slowly add these dry ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Then pour this mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and mix by hand using a large metal spoon or spatula until they are well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each case about two-thirds of the way up the paper.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for approx 25 mins. When cooked the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in colour and feel ‘spongy’ to the touch. Allow them to cool in their tins for 10 mins or so before placing on a wire rack to cool.
To ice the cupcakes:
- Place the cream cheese, icing sugar, butter and orange zest in a mixing bowl and beat well with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined and the icing is smooth and pale.
- Put the icing into an icing bag and attach a 1B/drop flower icing tip, pipe a flat circle around the edge of the cake. Alternatively, you can use a spatula to spread the icing in a neat circle.
- Once you have iced the carrot cupcakes with this icing, you can finish them off with a sprinkling of cinnamon before adding the toppers.
- Roll out 250g of the white fondant icing and cut 12 circles the same size as the toppers. Peel the toppers from the sheet and stick them on top of the fondant. You will need to moisten the top of the fondant very slightly with a dab of water.
- Place one of these circles on top of each cake.