Aubergines are meaty and filling - serve this easy veggie treat at your barbecue as a meat-free alternative.
- 2medium aubergines, cut into 1cm (½in) thick slices8-10 tbsp light
- Olive oil
- For the dressing:
- 100ml (3½fl oz) virgin olive oil
- Finely zested rind of 1 lemon and 2tbsp juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 level tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh lemon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with olive oil and cook them on a medium-hot barbecue for about 3-5 mins on each side, until they are starting to brown.
Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender, and whizz until smooth, or finely chop all the ingredients and mix them together well.
When the aubergine slices are cooked, lay them in a large shallow dish and spread the dressing over. Leave for at least 15 mins for the flavours to blend. This salad can be served warm.
Not suitable for freezing
Top tip for making Warm aubergine salad
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: This recipe can be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight, but allow it to warm to an room temperature before serving.