Light, healthy and under £1 a head, this warm chicken salad will fast become a firm favourite. Use up leftover chicken to whip up this hearty lunch or light dinner
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley, rinsed well
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g (4oz) frozen peas
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- About 60g (2oz) fresh spinach leaves
- About 25 fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) cooked chicken, roughly shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- About 15g (½oz) flaked almonds, toasted
Put the barley in a pan with 1.5 litres (2½ pints) boiling water and the salt, bring back to the boil and simmer for 35-40 mins until the barley is tender.
Drain the barley, tip it into a large bowl, add the cooked peas, spring and spinach and stir to let the spinach wilt and the veg warm through.
Put the mint leaves in a tall jug, or bowl, with the oil and whizz with a stick blender to make a dressing.
Add the shredded chicken, seasoning and mint oil to the warm barley mixture and stir well. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve warm.
A 1.5kg (3lb) chicken will give you at least 700g of cooked meat.