Light, healthy and under £1 a head, this warm chicken salad will fast become a firm favourite. Use up leftover chicken to whip up this hearty lunch or light dinner
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley, rinsed well
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g (4oz) frozen peas
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- About 60g (2oz) fresh spinach leaves
- About 25 fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) cooked chicken, roughly shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- About 15g (½oz) flaked almonds, toasted
Put the barley in a pan with 1.5 litres (2½ pints) boiling water and the salt, bring back to the boil and simmer for 35-40 mins until the barley is tender.
Drain the barley, tip it into a large bowl, add the cooked peas, spring and spinach and stir to let the spinach wilt and the veg warm through.
Put the mint leaves in a tall jug, or bowl, with the oil and whizz with a stick blender to make a dressing.
Add the shredded chicken, seasoning and mint oil to the warm barley mixture and stir well. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve warm.
Top tip for making Warm chicken and barley salad
A 1.5kg (3lb) chicken will give you at least 700g of cooked meat.