This warm rainbow cabbage salad is the perfect healthy side for the cooler months of the year, giving you a fresh crunch with your meal without it being too chilly. With a sweet and sharp mustard dressing, this dish goes well with most things. Taking only 20 minutes, it's an ideal recipe to throw together at the last minute to get an added veggie boost with your dinner.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced, optional
- ½ a red cabbage finely shredded (about 350g)
- Half a Sweetheart or Pointed cabbage (about 250g), shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley
- 2tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- Good pinch of soft light brown sugar
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp good olive oil
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and fennel, if using, for 1-2 minutes. Add the red cabbage and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Tip into a large serving bowl. Add the raw green cabbage and carrot.
To make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together, adding some seasoning. Pour over the salad and mix in well. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and flatleaf parsley over the top and serve warm.
Top tip for making Warm rainbow cabbage salad
This salad is great to serve as a side dish with cooked meat or fish, along with some rice or jacket potatoes. To makeit a whole meal in a bowl, add some toasted pecans or walnuts with thinly sliced apple or pear, or a few slivers of cold chicken or even chunks of cheese.