This winter fruit compote of spiced pears, apricots and prunes makes a delicious, healthy breakfast or pudding. Not only does it taste great it’s low in calories. A perfect way to get some of your 5-a-day.
- 4 firm ripe pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 vanilla pod, halved and seeds scraped out
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 200g (7oz) ready-to-eat apricots
- 200g (7oz) ready-to-eat prunes
- 50g (2oz) Craisins (or dried cranberries)
- 100ml (3½fl oz) elderflower cordial
Put the pears in a pan large enough to fit them snugly in one layer and cover with 450ml (¾ pint) water. Add the vanilla pod and seeds, honey, cinnamon stick, orange zest and juice.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 mins until the pears are just tender.
Add the apricots, prunes, Craisins and elderflower cordial, cover and cool.
Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Top tip for making Winter fruit compote
This is great for breakfast or as a pudding and can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 1 week. Try it with other dried fruits, like apples and sultanas.