This wonderful winter warmer takes a while to cook – but it’s well worth the wait
- Cooking time: 30-40 mins per 450g (1lb), plus 30-40 mins
- 1.3kg (3lb) lean brisket or silverside joint
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g (2oz) streaky bacon, cut into cubes (or pancetta cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed or 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- ½ pint good, hot beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface taking care not to cut the butcher’s string. Season with salt and dust with the cayenne pepper on both sides.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown all over with the bacon or pancetta. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
In the same frying pan, add the onion, carrot and celeriac or celery. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 mins then spoon into the casserole dish.
Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3hours.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
Top tip for making Winter pot roast
This pot roast tastes great served with cauliflower cheese.