This vegetable mash is a great combination of potatoes, leeks, onions and parsnips, all mixed together to create a creamy and cheesy delight. It can all be ready in a mere 25 mins, but if you’re really short of time, speed things up a bit by using ready prepared mashed potato.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli finely chopped, seeds removed
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, sliced into rings
- 350g/12 oz potatoes (you can use Saxon, Nadine, or Estima varieties), peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 60g/2oz mature cheddar, grated
- 60g/2oz light cream cheese
Heat oil in saucepan, gently cook the onion, garlic, chilli, parsnips and leeks with a few tbsps of water and the lid on for 5 mins. Add enough boiling water from the kettle to just cover and simmer gently for 15 mins or until the veg are tender.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes for 10 mins or until tender; drain then mash with milk, mustard, cream cheese, 3/4 of the cheddar cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Drain the vegetables well, stir into the mashed potato and serve sprinkled with the remaining cheese. Great served with ham or roast beef.
If you are really short of time, use ready prepared mash potato.