Fancy starters needn’t be hard to make. Simply mix up some crab meat with a zesty dressing and top with a creamy sauce to make these delicious bites – they’ll never guess how easy they were!
- 100g (3½oz) white crabmeat
- 125-150g (4-5oz) cooked king prawns, chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Finely zested rind ½ lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ x 200ml carton crème fraiche
- Salmon caviar and sprigs of dill, to garnish (optional)
- Melba toast, to serve
- 4 metal rings, 7cm (2¾in) in diameter, oiled
Line a small baking tray with cling film and place the 4 metal rings on the tray.
Place the crabmeat, prawns, spring onion, dill, oil, lemon juice and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture between the 4 rings, pressing it down firmly.
Stir the crème fraiche to soften it and spread it over the top of the fish mixture. Chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
To serve, slide a wide palette knife under each ring in turn and transfer them to a plate. Lift off the ring.
Garnish with a little salmon caviar and a sprig of dill, and serve with Melba toast.
Top tip for making Zesty crab with melba toast
If you don’t have cooking rings, you can serve the mixture in ramekin dishes.