The good old British banger always goes down well on the dinner table, both with adults and kids and there are lots of different recipes you can make with them. Here’s a selection of delicious recipes to cook up, while saving more than a few quid using Tesco’s Everyday Value Range for your ingredients.
Top tip: Buying in bulk nearly always saves you money and these Everyday Value Sausages, £1 for 20 (1kg), will save you a fortune!
Everyday Value 8 Pork Sausages 454g, £0.56 Everyday Value Small Potatoes, 1kg, £0.59 Tesco Loose Brown Onion, £0.16 Tesco Green Pepper £0.78 Everday Value Pasta Sauce, 440g, £0.39
Total: £2.48 = 62p a head, plus 500g of potatoes to spare!
Everyday Value 8 Pork Sausages 454g, £0.56 Everyday Value Plain Flour, £0.52 for 1.5kg Everyday Value Eggs, £0.85 for 6 Tesco Whole Milk, £0.55 for 1 pint Tesco Cut Thyme, 30g, £0.80
(Omitted onion marmalade.)
Total: £3.28 = 82p a head
Everyday Value 8 Pork Sausages 454g, £0.56 Tesco Loose Red Onion, £0.18 Tesco Loose Carrot, £0.08 Everyday Value Chopped Tomatoes, 400g, £0.31 Tesco Tomato Puree Tube, 200g, £0.48 Everyday Value Penne, 500g, £0.30
Total: £1.91 = 47p per head.
Full English breakfast Ingredients:
Everyday Value Eggs, £0.85 for 6 Everyday Value 8 Pork Sausages 454g, £0.56 Everyday Value Beans in Tomato Sauce, 420g, £0.26 Everyday Value Tomatoes, 500g, £0.75 Everyday Value Thick Slice White Bread, 800g, £0.47 Everyday Value Closed Cup Mushrooms, 400g, £0.95 Everyday Value Rind On Streaky Bacon, 275g, £0.97
Per adult: 2 sausages, 2 rashers bacon, 4 mushrooms, 1 tomato – halved, 1 egg, 2 slices of bread.
1. Fry sausages on a low heat for 10 minutes, remembering to turn.
2. Increase heat to medium and fry bacon until crispy, or your preferred texture.
3. Add mushrooms and halved tomatoes face down and cook until soft and heat baked beans in a separate saucepan.
4. Add the eggs and fry for a few minutes and toast or fry bread.
5. Serve all the frying pan ingredients with the baked beans and toast on the side.
Bangers and mash
Everyday Value 8 Pork Sausages 454g, £0.56 1kg white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, Everyday Value White Potatoes, 2.5kg, £0.89 25g butter, Everyday Value Butter, 250g, £1.19 75ml milk, Tesco Whole Milk, 1 pint, £0.55
6 heaped teaspoons Tesco Everyday Value Gravy Granules, 200g, £0.20 1 onion – Tesco Loose Brown Onion, £0.16 Everyday Value Mustard, 190g, £0.33
Total: £3.88 = 97p per head.
1. Bring salted water to the boil in a saucepan, add potatoes, boil for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Drain, return to bowl and mash with butter and milk.
2. Meanwhile, grill the sausages for 15-20 minutes until golden, remembering to turn.
3. Fry the onions for 3-4 minutes until browned. Dissolve the gravy granules in 450ml of boiling water and stir in the onions.
4. Serve the sausages with the mash and gravy and mustard on the side.
No time to cook?
Everyday Value Sausage and Mash, 400g, £0.95 Everyday Value Sausage Casserole, 392g, £0.77 Everyday Value 8 pack sausage rolls, 432g, £1.12