Look at Felix the frog staring up at you from his lily pad. Cute isn’t he? We bet your kids would love him as a pet. And he’s really easy to make – all you need is a green pom pom, googly eyes, 2 pie foils and some coloured tissue paper.
Once Felix the frog is ready, your kids could have more fun making a pretend pond out of some blue tissue paper stuck to some recycled cardboard to give him a proper home.
So if your kids have always wanted a pond with frogs in it, now they can without any safety issues, with our easy froggy craft.
Scroll down for our brilliant step-by-step guide on how to make Felix the frog and lily pad.
Age group: Kids as young as 6 can get involved in making our Felix the frog and lily pad craft – they might just need help cutting the embroidery yarn.
What you will need
- 2 small pie foils (like the ones you use for Yorkshire puddings or mini apple pies)
- 1 sheet of light green tissue paper
- 1 sheet of pink tissue paper
- 1 small green pom pom
- 2 mini googly eyes
- Magenta/dark pink embroidery thread
- Yellow embroidery thread
- A small square of green felt
- Paint brush
- Decoupage glue squirted out onto a paper plate (OR mix 3 parts of PVA glue with 1 part of water if you don’t have decoupage glue)
- A little neat PVA glue
Find a flat surface to work on and gather together all the craft materials you need to make Felix the frog and lily pad.
Flatten out 1 pie foil, for the lily pad, then shape the sides of the other pie foil so the pie foil resembles a flower, like this.
- Cut out a circle of green tissue paper, 3 times as big as the flattened mince pie foil.
- Spread the glue all over the flattened pie foil using a paintbrush, then cover the pie foil in the green tissue and leave to dry completely.
- Cut the pink tissue paper into medium-sized squares.
- Take the flower-shaped pie foil, spread the glue all over it, then stick the bits of pink tissue all over. Gently and carefully brush a layer of glue over the decoupaged flower, being careful not to tear the tissue and leave to dry completely.
- Take the yellow embroidery thread out of its packaging and pull apart half of the thread.
- Cut an inch length from half of the embroidery thread.
- Fold the inch-long embroidery thread strands in half and stick them to the bottom of the lily pad flower, with the ends sticking up, using a big dab of glue and leave to dry completely.
- Stick the two googly eyes onto a small green pom pom using a little PVA glue.
- Cut 1cm length of pink embroidery thread and glue it to Felix the frog's face, for a smiley mouth.
- Cut 2 small triangle shapes (about 1cm long) from the green felt and stick them to the bottom of the pom pom for Felix the frog's webbed feet.
- Leave Felix the frog to dry completely.
Stick the flower to the lily pad using a little PVA glue, then stick Felix the frog to the lily pad and that's it! Felix the frog is ready to play with.
Design created by Jennifer Shepherd for goodtoknow.co.uk.
For craft materials such as tissue, decoupage glue and embroidery thread etc. visit Baker Ross, a family run craft business which supplies arts and crafts to schools and other organisations across the UK and abroad.
For pie foils visit lakeland.co.uk
Where to next?