We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Losing weight over summer can be tricky with all the delicious frozen treats around, but with the Ice Cream diet you can now enjoy your favourite sweet summer indulgence every day and still lose 2lb a week with our easy-to-follow plan…
How does the Ice Cream diet work?
- Pick one calorie-controlled breakfast, lunch and dinner from the lists here.
- Select a daily ice cream.
- Have 300ml skimmed milk a day (to top up your calcium levels). You can use this in tea or coffee, or just have it as a separate drink if you wish.
- Aim to walk 10,000 steps a day. This usually means moving around for at least an hour and a half, but ideally use a pedometer to track steps accurately.
Your Ice Cream diet daily iced treat
- 1 Fruit Pastille Lolly
- 2 Wall’s Mini Milks (any flavour)
- 1 mini Calippo
- 1 Del Monte Smoothie (Mango or Raspberry flavour lolly)
- 1 Wall’s Twister Mini
- 1 Skinny Cow Mint Double Choc
- 1 Fab
- 1 Solero Exotic
Ice Cream diet breakfast options
- 40g bowl of bran flakes or Cheerios with skimmed milk, 1 small chopped banana and a 150ml glass of orange juice.
- 1 slice brown toast with 1tbsp peanut butter and 1 apple.
- 2 poached eggs and a grilled tomato on 1 slice of wholemeal toast spread with 1tsp of low-fat spread.
- 1 sachet of instant oat cereal with skimmed milk, topped with a small handful of chopped almonds.
- 1 small brown or granary roll filled with 1 grilled low-fat sausage and 1 tomato. Plus a 150ml glass of juice.
- Smoothie: 80g blueberries, 200ml skimmed milk and 100g fat-free strawberry Activia yogurt. Serve with 1 slice of brown toast, 1tsp low-fat spread and Marmite.
- 2 slices of Parma ham and 25g Emmental on 2 Ryvitas with low-fat spread, plus strawberries.
Ice Cream diet lunch options
- 1 medium-sized jacket potato (oven-cooked or microwaved), topped with a handful of prawns and mixed with 1tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise. Supplement with 1 chopped tomato, a cucumber salad and 1 kiwi fruit.
- 85g guacamole served with a combination of vegetables. Try a mix of carrot, pepper and cucumber crudités, plus 2 oatcakes.
- 1 x 120g can sardines on 1 slice of brown toast. Serve garnished with a big pile of watercress.
- 2 taco shells filled with green leaves, slices of tomato and peppers, served with 4tbsp canned beans in chilli sauce and a matchbox-sized lump of reduced-fat Cheddar, grated.
- Small frozen mini-sized cheese and tomato pizza, served with a large green salad and a little fat-free dressing.
- 1 x 300 calorie (maximum) bought-in sandwich. Supplement with a piece of fresh fruit.
- 300g bowl of New Covent Garden Carrot & Coriander Soup with ¼ of a garlic baguette and a sprinkling of watercress.
Ice Cream diet dinner options
- Lamb chop – and pudding! – 1 grilled lean lamb chop with granule gravy, 2 new potatoes, carrots and green veg. Finish with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream with 100g frozen berries.
- Black bean stir-fry – Prepare by frying 1 skinless chicken breast in 1tsp oil in a pan, then add green peppers, onion, mushrooms and broccoli florets. When tender, add 3tbsp black bean sauce and heat through. Serve with 100g cooked brown rice.
- Vegetable skewers with pesto –Thread 3 skewers with a selection of chopped vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, aubergine and peppers. Brush with olive oil and grill. Serve on a bed of 125g cooked pasta, stirred with 1tbsp pesto.
- Fish and chips – 140g white fish grilled with a little olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with 100g baked oven chips and 4tbsp garden peas. Plus 1 apple or 1 orange.
- Stuffed red pepper – Mix 4tbsp cooked rice with 2 chopped spring onions, 1tsp toasted pine nuts, 2 chopped sun-dried tomatoes and 1tbsp Parmesan. Cut the top off a red pepper, keeping it for later. Scoop out seeds and pith, then fill with the rice mixture. Top with lid and bake in a hot oven until softened. Serve with green veg.
- Ready meal and greens –1 healthy-range ready meal containing no more than 400 calories, served with lots of bagged green veg.
- Vegetable korma – Steam 100g peeled, chopped sweet potato, 75g green beans and 100g cauliflower until just tender, then simmer in 150g Lloyd Grossman Korma sauce. Serve with 2 popadoms.