Sexplanations: ‘Sex is over too soon’

Every week we partner with our sister magazine, Woman, to bring you expert sexual health advice from Christine Webber, a qualified psychotherapist with her own Harley Street practice.

The problem

My husband has always climaxed early. But although he’s aware I’ve been disappointed in bed because of this, we’d never talked about it until the other day. We saw a poster in our high street advertising a nasal spray that makes sex last longer. We’re keen to try it but should we?

The solution

Well, it’s great that you’re finally talking about your husband’s premature ejaculation (PE). And now that you’re talking, you can consider various methods to help you. The nasal spray you mention is quite new. And posters advertising it have caused a sensation!

The spray contains a drug that delays climax – a nasal spray that gets into the man’s bloodstream quicker than if he takes tablets by mouth.

The medication most commonly used in the spray is a well-known antidepressant called clomipramine, which has been used for years in pill form to treat PE. So, your husband could go to his GP and ask if they will prescribe these antidepressant tablets for his PE.

There are other options. Some men buy penile anaesthetising sprays from sex shops. Personally, I don’t think they work well and they sometimes give people bad skin reactions. But a good alternative is for you both to see a psycho-sexual counsellor, who will teach you a technique called the Masters and Johnson grip. This involves the partner grasping the man’s penis in a particular way during sex to slow him down when he’s in danger of ejaculating.

Whatever you choose, I hope it will dramatically improve your love life.

Read more sex advice from Christine Webber

– There’s more advice in this week’s bigger better WOMAN, on sale every Tuesday.

– Is your relationship in need of some sexual healing? Email your problem to Christine on or to us on