Pink ribbon cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
goodtoknow's cupcake queen, Victoria Threader, has created these exclusive Pink ribbon cupcakes filled with a secret layer of strawberry jelly especially for us.
1 basic cupcake recipe
For the filling and icing
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- 1 packet quick gel (Victoria uses Green's)
- 600ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pink ribbon decorations (Victoria got hers from thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk)
Tools you'll need
- Piping bag
- star-shaped nozzle tip
Eat within 6 hours or store in the fridge.
- Bake a batch of basic cupcakes and leave to cool.
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces.
- Pour the double cream into a large bowl and add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Whip with an electric mixer or whisk until stiff enough to pipe onto cakes.
- Place a piping bag with the nozzle attached in a pint glass and pull the top of the bag down around the glass. Fill the bag 2/3 full with the cream, pushing the cream down into the bag with a spatula or wooden spoon as you fill it. Lift the bag up from the glass and push up all the air from the top of the bag. Twist the bag shut at the top of the cream and leave in the fridge until ready.
- When the cakes are cold, cut the centre out of each cake using an apple corer.
- Heat the quick gel according to the packet instructions. When the gel has cooled slightly, mix with the strawberries and then spoon into the centre of the cakes.
- To pipe a swirl on top of the cakes, hold the twist of the piping bag between your thumb and forefinger. Pipe a swirl of cream onto the tops of the cakes by applying pressure to the top of the bag and piping a small star in the centre of each cupcake. Pipe around the star using the edge of the cupcake case as a guide and gradually work your way up into a swirl. When you are finished, release the pressure, push down slightly and pull up quickly.
- Scatter the cakes with pink ribbon sprinkles and serve.
- Throw a Strawberry Tea for Breast Cancer Care
- Create your own strawberry cake or pud by 31st July and you could win a £205 Le Creuset baking set in our Strawberry Tea baking contest