Toffee apple cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Give your cupcakes an autumnal feel by making these easy toffee apple cupcakes. A light apple cake, topped with toffee cream and an impressive sugar swirl. This recipe makes 12 delicious cupcakes in just 1hr and 20 mins. Made with fresh apples, a sticky sweet toffee and double cream frosting, these cupcakes are just perfect for sharing. Pop into a box, tie with a ribbon and give as a gift for special occasions. These cupcakes would be great for Halloween parties too.
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml double cream
- 4 tbsp Dulce de Leche sauce (available from most supermarkets)
- 250g granulated sugar
- Groundnut or vegetable oil
- 12-hole muffin pan
- Wilton 1M decorating tip
- Piping bag
- Non-stick saucepan
- Ice cream scoop
Be careful when making the sugar baskets as this sugar is extremely hot. If you find the sugar becomes too stiff pop it back on the heat for a few seconds to melt it again.
- To make the cakes: Core, peel and dice the apples and place into a pan with caster sugar, the lemon zest and juice, and the vanilla extract. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are soft. Drain the liquid away and mash the apples with a fork until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Line the baking tray with cases.
- Beat the light brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cornflour, cinnamon, ground cloves and baking powder together. Add 1 egg to the butter and sugar with 1/3 of the flour mix and beat until just combined. Repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly fold in the cooled apples until even throughout the mixture.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases (use an ice cream scoop to get even amounts) and bake for 30-35 minutes depending on your oven .Remove and cool in the tins for 10 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the sugar baskets: Place the granulated sugar into the non-stick saucepan. Watching it melt from the outside in, swirl the pan so as to melt the sugar in the centre of the pan. When it’s melted and the colour of golden syrup remove from the heat.
- Dab a little groundnut or vegetable oil on the back of the ice cream scoop, take a small spoonful of the melted sugar and drizzle over the ice cream scoop. Wait a few seconds for the sugar to cool and then pop the basket off. Keep the baskets on something non-stick or in an airtight container as they will stick to a plate or parchment paper. Repeat until you have 12, greasing the scoop each time.
- For the toffee cream: Pour cream into a large bowl and add 4 tbsp of Dulce de Leche. With an electric whisk, beat until you have a piping consistency.
- When the cakes are cool add a Wilton 1M to a large piping bag. Place the piping bag in a large glass and fill with the toffee cream. Pipe a swirl and add a spun sugar basket to decorate.