Slimming World's surf and turf skewers with fresh ketchup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Slimming World's surf and turf skewers with fresh ketchup are ideal for the summer. They're really simple to cook and assemble and when they're served with light, homemade ketchup you just can't go wrong! This mouth-watering recipe takes about 1hr and 30 mins to prepare and cook and is well worth the wait. This recipe serves 4 people but double the quantities if you're feeding more. You can cook these steak, prawn and scallop kebabs on the BBQ.
- 600g lean sirloin steak, visible fat removed, cut into 24 chunks
- 16 scallops
- 16 raw peeled king or tiger prawns, with or without tails
- low calorie cooking spray
For the ketchup:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2kg tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and halved
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1½ tsp sweetener
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Keep any unused ketchup in sterilised jars for up to 3 months. Once opened, chill and use within 1 week.
- First make the ketchup. Put the onion, celery, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, vinegar and 100ml of water into a large saucepan. Put the peppercorns and cloves into a piece of muslin (or an emptied tea bag) and tie up with kitchen string.
- Add to the pan and cook over a medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the ginger and muslin bag (or tea bag) and blitz the tomato pulp using a stick blender or food processor.
- Rub the pulp through a sieve into a clean pan, discarding anything left in the sieve. Stir in the sweetener and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat to low and simmer until thickened and reduced. Season and set aside to cool.
- About 30 minutes before you want to cook, light the barbecue.
- Thread the steak, scallops and prawns on to eight metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes) – each one should have three chunks of steak, two scallops and two prawns. Spray the skewers with low calorie cooking spray and season to taste. Cook over indirect medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through, turning once. Serve with the ketchup and lots of salad.
For more delicious recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website