Whip up these quick and easy-to-make chickpea cakes for a delicious and healthy starter or snack. They’re perfect for vegetarians and are ready in just 20 minutes.
- For the cakes:
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 4 slices wholemeal bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8tbsp of finely chopped coriander
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Salad leaves
- For the dip:
- 150g fat free natural yogurt
- 4-5tbsp very finely chopped mint
- A pinch each of ground cumin and ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
First make the dip by mixing all the dip ingredients together in a bowl. Season well, cover and chill until needed.
Place the chickpeas, cumin, breadcrumbs, egg, coriander, red chilli and spring onions in a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and season well.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large tablespoons of the batter onto the pan (spacing them apart) and lightly press down to form a ‘cake’ or ‘patty’ shape.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chickpea mixture.
Serve the chickpea cakes with the yogurt dip and salad leaves.
Top tip for making Slimming World’s chickpea and chilli cakes with minted yogurt dip
You can make these cakes in any size - small for the kids' lunch boxes, medium for a light snack or large for a meat-free alternative to a burger!