These party streamer cupcakes, made by goodtoknow cupcake expert, Victoria Threader, are perfect for special occasions like birthdays, weddings, New Year or as a food gift. The fun swirls take a bit of effort but they’re more than worth it using flower paste and vibrant food colourings of your choice. This recipe uses a simple vanilla sponge and buttercream but you can top chocolate, lemon, red velvet or any flavour you like. Making your edible streamers a few days in advance will allow them to set in shape, so make sure you plan ahead. Complete your cupcakes by sprinkling them with rainbow confetti and silver balls.
- For the sponge:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g butter, room temperature
- 3 medium eggs, room temperature
- 150g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 30ml of milk, room temperature
- For the buttercream:
- 270g unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g royal icing sugar
- 1tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 30ml of milk
- For the toppers:
- 60g flower/mexican paste
- Food colourings - your choice
- Rainbow confetti sprinkles
- Small silver sugar balls
- You will also need:
- 12 silver cases
- Sharp knife
- 24 wooden skewers
- Piping bag with a Wilton 1E nozzle
- Large drying sponge or greaseproof paper
For the toppers:
- You need to make the toppers 2 days in advance.
- Divide the flower paste into 6 and colour to your desired colours. We used, pink, purple, green, yellow, blue and orange to match the sprinkles.
- Roll the flower paste out to 2mm thick and cut long strips. Wrap the coloured strip around the wooden skewers and leave to dry for at least 24 hours before trying to remove them. Do not store in an airtight container, store out under a cake cover or in a cardboard cake box to air dry. Take some swirls off the skewers while still soft to bend them, to give some an exploding effect.
- 24 hours after, remove the twirls from the skewers and dry for a further 24 hours. Leave on a large drying sponge or greaseproof paper.
For the cakes:
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line the baking tray with 12 cases
- Add all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix until smooth, don’t overbeat or the batter will be greasy.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove and cool in the tins for 10 mins before moving to a wire cooling rack
For the buttercream:
- Pop all the ingredients onto a large bowl and beat on a low speed for about 7 mins until smooth.
- To pipe a swirl, use your piping bag and nozzle and pipe a small star in the centre of the cupcake, then pipe around and over the star working your way up to the desired height. To stop piping, release the pressure, push down slightly and pull up quickly. You could also apply the buttercream with a palette knife.
- Decorate with sprinkles and let the icing dry slightly before pushing the twirls into the centre of the cupcakes.
Top tip for making Party streamer cupcakes
Make sure you make the edible streamers 2 days in advance so they can set